www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index www.ice-graphics.com
The main forum for the ICE-Graphics software
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ICE ECC - Remember files already checked & small ecc fil

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bobby89



Joined: 20 May 2005
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: ICE ECC - Remember files already checked & small ecc fil Reply with quote

Hi,


Have been testing 1.3 and great improvements over 1.1. Smile

However for the usenet users mainly, could you add an option that would tell ICE ECC to remember what files are already checked? Here an example:

I download 50 files from usenet. I grab the smallest ECC file available. I check the whole set, ECC tell me it needs 5 blocks and the first ECC file has only 2 blocks. I need to download 3 more ones. I do it but when I launch the repair, ICE ECC check again the whole set. No need to check the files that are known to be good.

QuickPar allows that, when a file is ok, it remembers it and never check it again. It saves time, especially if the set you check is big, like a DVD-9. Could you please code this? It would be great, many people are refusing to give up QuickPar due to this problem. Your program repairs faster but if the gain is lost because you check again the whole set, no need to use a new program. Thanks. Like that I hope 1.4 will be more and more used.

In the same way, could you add like QuickPar a very small ECC file? Because at this time people are forced to get at least a large ECC file to check their set. It would be fine, like QuickPar, to have a small ECC file that have no block inside, everybody grab it, check and at the end the program tell how much blocks you need. This could be set as default or an option if some people do not want it.

Again thanks and cheers for the improvements Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ICE Graphics
Site Admin


Joined: 31 Mar 2003
Posts: 430

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: ICE ECC - Remember files already checked & small ecc Reply with quote

bobby89 wrote:
Have been testing 1.3 and great improvements over 1.1. Smile

However for the usenet users mainly, could you add an option that would tell ICE ECC to remember what files are already checked? Here an example:

I download 50 files from usenet. I grab the smallest ECC file available. I check the whole set, ECC tell me it needs 5 blocks and the first ECC file has only 2 blocks. I need to download 3 more ones. I do it but when I launch the repair, ICE ECC check again the whole set. No need to check the files that are known to be good.

Not sure, what it's good idea:
1. ICE ECC check file integrity very fast. Usually ICE ECC check data file with the speed equal HDD read speed (>20MB/sec for modern HDD). Even for DVD (4.7GB) full check require less than 5-6 minutes.
2. Every time check can guarantee witch data are valid. If do not check it every time, then attempt to recover data can fail if some files will change. It's more important, because file recover require a lot of time. Saving 2-3 minutes during verify you add risc to add additional 20-30 minutes during recover.


bobby89 wrote:
QuickPar allows that, when a file is ok, it remembers it and never check it again. It saves time, especially if the set you check is big, like a DVD-9. Could you please code this? It would be great, many people are refusing to give up QuickPar due to this problem. Your program repairs faster but if the gain is lost because you check again the whole set, no need to use a new program. Thanks. Like that I hope 1.4 will be more and more used.

Need to think. This is feature will work only for testing integrity. For recover full verify will do anyway.


bobby89 wrote:
In the same way, could you add like QuickPar a very small ECC file? Because at this time people are forced to get at least a large ECC file to check their set. It would be fine, like QuickPar, to have a small ECC file that have no block inside, everybody grab it, check and at the end the program tell how much blocks you need. This could be set as default or an option if some people do not want it.

Yes, it's possible
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bobby89



Joined: 20 May 2005
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,


Don't forget that this option I ask is for usenet users. Of course when we speak about our CD or DVD integrity, better check twice and not save some seconds. Wink

But on a usenet point of view, when you download 50 files, you check them, one is corrupted, need 3 blocks, you only have one, you download 2 others blocks and then ICE ECC check again the 49 files we know they are ok because we have just tested them 1 min earlier, adding this option is absolutely necessary.

I fully understand your idea of security but I was talking about files that will not change in the future, those files downloaded from usenet or somewhere else are not going to be changed, so the 100% security is a bit less important.

What I would suggest now would be to have an option. Default would always check the set again as it is now. If you don't have enough block, you get some, then ICE ECC check again the good files. But for warned people, untick this option would allow to not check the set again and thus save time.

Like that I think it is a excellent compromise, default is security and people that know what they do could get rid of it.

Oh and thanks for the small ECC file if you can do it. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ICE Graphics
Site Admin


Joined: 31 Mar 2003
Posts: 430

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, v1.4 can satisfy you
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bobby89



Joined: 20 May 2005
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,


Thanks a lot Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group