www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index www.ice-graphics.com
The main forum for the ICE-Graphics software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ICE Patch File Creator: wanted product

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bananix

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: ICE Patch File Creator: wanted product Reply with quote

Here's a problem I have

I have two big data files like 2gb which are different in size and large parts of the files contain identical datablocks which are scrambled in different offsets of the file...now the program should be able analyze the differences and also be able to identify identical datablocks in different parts of the file so it could generate a really small patch file which can be used to make the other file identical with the other. The patch could be executable or file that must be aplied with the patch program. Java version would be nice so it would work on many platforms.

Perhaps this could be implemented by making many checksums of sertain sized blocks of the both files and then compare if there are identical datablocks.

Does anyone have insight into this thing or some projects that are helpful with this or where I could post about this to get attention so perhaps someone could make a program like that...I know too little about programming to do it myself...
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Patch File Creator: wanted product Reply with quote

bananix wrote:
I have two big data files like 2gb which are different in size and large parts of the files contain identical datablocks which are scrambled in different offsets of the file...now the program should be able analyze the differences and also be able to identify identical datablocks in different parts of the file so it could generate a really small patch file which can be used to make the other file identical with the other. The patch could be executable or file that must be aplied with the patch program.

It's not too complicated task. I think, the software solving what problem can work pretty fast. I am not sure, may be somebody did it before. There are class of programs, allowing to make patches for distributing software. However, comparison 16MB and 2GB of th data are two very different tasks.

bananix wrote:
Java version would be nice so it would work on many platforms.

Java platform is good only for applying patches. But not for searching differences between two data sets.

bananix wrote:
Perhaps this could be implemented by making many checksums of sertain sized blocks of the both files and then compare if there are identical datablocks.

Yes, it's possible. However, i can suggest another solution. Checksum mode is not optimal for solving what problem.

bananix wrote:
Does anyone have insight into this thing or some projects that are helpful with this or where I could post about this to get attention so perhaps someone could make a program like that...I know too little about programming to do it myself...

Are you search somebody who can solve this is task for free? If yes, i can suggest you to search among SourceForge projects.
mrQQ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try googling - there are a LOT of such programs around (RTP Patch, WinPatch, PatchFactory, CadiaPatch, EasyPatch to name a few)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: