www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index www.ice-graphics.com
The main forum for the ICE-Graphics software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket PC Version

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danzppc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Pocket PC Version Reply with quote

I can't believe no one has asked for a PPC version of this. Would it be relatively simple to port to PPC?
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pocket PC Version Reply with quote

danzppc wrote:
I can't believe no one has asked for a PPC version of this.

Anyway it's not planning to make PPC version. IMHO, PPC time is over.

danzppc wrote:
Would it be relatively simple to port to PPC?

It's complicated task. Moreover, there is not enough RAM and CPU power in PPC.
danzppc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Pocket PC Version Reply with quote

ICE Graphics wrote:
danzppc wrote:
I can't believe no one has asked for a PPC version of this.

Anyway it's not planning to make PPC version. IMHO, PPC time is over.

danzppc wrote:
Would it be relatively simple to port to PPC?

It's complicated task. Moreover, there is not enough RAM and CPU power in PPC.

PocketPC time might be over when the next generation (Origami) machines hit the market, In your humble opinion, however, myself and a whole lot of other PocketPC users highly doubt that. Many sub-notebook and tablet pc's have come & gone, & I doubt if the latest offering will be much different, and besides, the pocketPC still fits a different need, it fits in your pocket.

Moreover, as far as RAM & CPU power in a PocketPC, my Pocket PC has an intel XScale PXA 270 processor, running @ 624 MHz, and over 2 Gigs of storage space. Many other developers offer very nice readers in the size range of around 1 Meg or less, and they run very quickly even with processor turned down to 200 MHz.

Only problem is, other readers handle MS lit files, or palms pdb files, but not both. I just thought it would be nice to have one reader that handled both formats, like ice reader.
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Pocket PC Version Reply with quote

danzppc wrote:
PocketPC time might be over when the next generation (Origami) machines hit the market,

Origami is some kind of table PC/sub-notebook. It use normal Windows XP and x86 compatible CPU. You can use ICE Reader on any Origamy system without any problem. ICE Reader requre minimum screen resolution is 640x480, Origame has 800x480. So, no problem with Origami.

danzppc wrote:
In your humble opinion, however, myself and a whole lot of other PocketPC users highly doubt that. Many sub-notebook and tablet pc's have come & gone, & I doubt if the latest offering will be much different, and besides, the pocketPC still fits a different need, it fits in your pocket.

The main enemy for Pocket PC is not notebooks or table PC. The main enemy for Pocket PC are smartofones, like Symbian S60 platform.Why need to use additional devices (Pocket PC) if absolutely everything what you can do on your Pocket PC you can do on your mobile phone ?

danzppc wrote:
Moreover, as far as RAM & CPU power in a PocketPC, my Pocket PC has an intel XScale PXA 270 processor, running @ 624 MHz, and over 2 Gigs of storage space.

Some remarks:
1. 624 Mhz - it's high end PDA. These are expensive toys. Avarage models has 300-400 Mhz.
2. 624 Mhz in PDA is not equal 624 Mhz in PC. PDA use slow memory, slow video system. For 624 Mhz PC to show DIVX movies in full resolution is not problem. For PDA it's still problem.
3. 2 GB - user have to buy it separately. By default there is only build in memory in Pocket PC - 32MB-128MB
4. 2 GB - it's storage space. It's not available RAM. You can not use storage space as ordinary RAM. It's like HDD in PC. Most PDA has total available RAM about 32MB. And only high end models up to 128MB. It's mean, what this is 32MB share among all executed applications. Now ICE Reader occupy in memory only for code about 4MB. Support for compression books require at least 5-6MB. For opening the books need at least 2MB. Videocache + antialiasing will eat a lot of memory. I do not think, what application witch required minimum 16MB RAM can be succesfull on Pocket PC.

danzppc wrote:
Many other developers offer very nice readers in the size range of around 1 Meg or less, and they run very quickly even with processor turned down to 200 MHz.

Do you think, what ICE Reader require a lot of memory and CPU power because it's use not effective programming ? I can tell you, not. ICE Reader require a lot of memory and CPU power because it's provide a lot of functions witch are not available in what small readers. Like antialiasing or super scrolling.

danzppc wrote:
Only problem is, other readers handle MS lit files, or palms pdb files, but not both. I just thought it would be nice to have one reader that handled both formats, like ice reader.

I think, development of a software under Pocket PC will not pay back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: