www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index www.ice-graphics.com
The main forum for the ICE-Graphics software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ICE Reader Pro and PDF files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
listener

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: ICE Reader Pro and PDF files Reply with quote

Hello,

Is it in the plan to support reading PDF files as it done for *.lit files ?

Thanks
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Reader Pro and PDF files Reply with quote

listener wrote:
Hello,

Is it in the plan to support reading PDF files as it done for *.lit files ?

PDF files look like to picture. LIT file look like to CHM/HTML files. There are serious problems for converting PDF to textual format. May be we can add it, but it very hard task.
Flear_

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Reader Pro and PDF files Reply with quote

Do you know if there is any work done to add PDF support ?

can we expect this in the future or is it just an idea being tossed around ?

if it can be seriously considered and implimented in upcoming versions this would eliminate the current need for several different programs to read what i have avaliable now.

what i have seen avaliable for various ebooks for the PC, i assume Mac as well, are lit, pdf, doc, rtf, & txt.

lit handles most fiction, PDF handles most non-fiction, ... acrobat isn't bad for small PDF's, say 5 pages or so, ... a full book of several hundred pages and acrobat is almost useless as a serious reading program, i haven't seen other pdf readers that will keep track of last page read.

i haven't seen other reader programs as nice as ICE either, (including the extra steps for ICE to import each book)

although it would be nice for a user defined directory to store it's imported books, taking the computer into the shop if windows is having problems is a nightmare...
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Reader Pro and PDF files Reply with quote

PDF in most cases is image based format. It's look like to multiple image files, like JPG files. ICE Reader work only with text based formats.

Flear_ wrote:
Do you know if there is any work done to add PDF
although it would be nice for a user defined directory to store it's imported books, taking the computer into the shop if windows is having problems is a nightmare...

You can manually specify to use any directory as library.
Use command line parameter "ICEReader.exe /BOOKS_PATH=D:\YourLibrary\"
mhajicek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In many cases pdf files contains real text, not images, especially in case of books, where scanning to images would produce too big files even in pdf format. So if only these pdf files would be supported, this would be a big improvement, 'cause as was said, pdf format is not rare at all.
Sabrinmg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can export your pdf from acrobat as text and import into ice. an extra step, yes. but it will work. and calibre converts. i'm pretty sure they'll share the code, especially if you offer an incentive Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: