www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index www.ice-graphics.com
The main forum for the ICE-Graphics software
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ICE Book Reader

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Flear



Joined: 18 Jun 2010
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: ICE Book Reader Reply with quote

importing individual books tends to strip any internal author/filename/comments/ect. that the file may have

i can bearly find what format for the import book(s) feature to correctly identify author & book title.

yet when ICE Book Reader exports a file all that information is present and catagorized in the header of the file, and only "some" of it is utilized if you export/import to/from html formats

fix this

a previous suggestion was to have subfolders included for import i believe, ... whenever i import folders i am allowed to select one folder at a time and cannot select any subfolders that may be included within the main folder

fix this (followed the suggestions from the forum admin team guy, ... i can't find any add subfolders option like what was suggested)

currently in my comments i am adding publisher & year of publishing
(usefull for various textbook type books, cambridge university, and such as they release books where the publisher is of more value then trying to identify the editors/author)

add this ??

add folders inside of ice book readers book library, simular to itunes (not for the purpose of copying another's idea, but it's organization does become rather nice when a massive bulk list is sorted by author or publisher.

add this ???

to find/make corrections in each book, currently it's line-by-line, one line at a time only, removing entire sections, say from particular html formats not importing correctly, leaving many lines of html code in the book. just expand the text avaliable in the edit field to include more than a single line. how does one remove line breaks ???

fix this.

on another note, ... lower the price, $100 is a lot of money when we have lots of money, during a recession is rather unreasonable for a library program. yes as i have found, anything else i have come across on the net doesn't come close to ICE Book Reader, not in features, not in ease of use, not in being a small program base install. but maybe $100 is a bit much for a program that shows no signs of being maintained

i would have gotten this long ago (registered version), if the price was more reasonable, i might have considered getting this long ago if there was evidence that the program is being currently maintained, looks like the last time anyone provided any updates to it (aside from the forum) was years ago, suggestions have been made, was years ago.

do i currently feel that if i had any issues with the program if i got it now that any support would be avaliable as the program appears almost unsupported due to a lack of any recent acknowledgment on the website that this program is being monitored for anything ?

no new updates because no issues to be updated, no features to be added, .... hmmm, dono about that

the ebook readers on the market are offering some serious competition i think in features and beings monitored/update
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ICE Graphics
Site Admin


Joined: 31 Mar 2003
Posts: 430

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Book Reader Reply with quote

Flear wrote:
importing individual books tends to strip any internal author/filename/comments/ect. that the file may have

Are you mean import .ibk files ?

Flear wrote:
i can bearly find what format for the import book(s) feature to correctly identify author & book title.

v9.0.0 will have correct header recognition. I mean header _###ICE#BOOK#READER#PROFESSIONAL#HEADER#START###_

Flear wrote:
a previous suggestion was to have subfolders included for import i believe, ... whenever i import folders i am allowed to select one folder at a time and cannot select any subfolders that may be included within the main folder

Import dialog supported multiple level selection planning to add in future version. Not in near version.

Flear wrote:
currently in my comments i am adding publisher & year of publishing
(usefull for various textbook type books, cambridge university, and such as they release books where the publisher is of more value then trying to identify the editors/author)

You can easy add new category like: "Publisher\Cambridge university" or/and "Year\2010"

Flear wrote:
add folders inside of ice book readers book library, simular to itunes (not for the purpose of copying another's idea, but it's organization does become rather nice when a massive bulk list is sorted by author or publisher.

Planning, but i am not sure about this is in near version. 50/50

Flear wrote:

to find/make corrections in each book, currently it's line-by-line, one line at a time only, removing entire sections, say from particular html formats not importing correctly, leaving many lines of html code in the book. just expand the text avaliable in the edit field to include more than a single line. how does one remove line breaks ???

It's not planning to convert ICE Reader to text editor. Internal editing made only for fixing small error. If you need to make a lot fixes, you will need to make export/edit in external editor/make import. With full support ICE Reader headers it's not too complicated.

Flear wrote:

on another note, ... lower the price, $100 is a lot of money when we have lots of money, during a recession is rather unreasonable for a library program.

New release almost ready with full support of images, hyperlinks, styles and lot more. We not planning to change price strategy in near future.

Flear wrote:

i would have gotten this long ago (registered version), if the price was more reasonable, i might have considered getting this long ago if there was evidence that the program is being currently maintained, looks like the last time anyone provided any updates to it (aside from the forum) was years ago, suggestions have been made, was years ago.

Some features easy to add, some not. We decided to add some heavy features, like pictures. But it's required a lot of work. It's almost done. Is about 30% of whole code ICE Reader was re-written. Problem is, what then you start heavy project re-building you can publish version until everything will work fine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Flear



Joined: 18 Jun 2010
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICE Graphics wrote:
Flear wrote:
importing individual books tends to strip any internal author/filename/comments/etc. that the file may have

Are you mean import .ibk files ?

Flear wrote:
i can barely find what format for the import book(s) feature to correctly identify author & book title.

v9.0.0 will have correct header recognition. I mean header _###ICE#BOOK#READER#PROFESSIONAL#HEADER#START###_

Flear wrote:
currently in my comments i am adding publisher & year of publishing
(useful for various textbook type books, Cambridge university, and such as they release books where the publisher is of more value then trying to identify the editors/author)

You can easy add new category like: "Publisher\Cambridge university" or/and "Year\2010"

if you export a file and import the exported file, the imported file has not removed any of the header information that was added to the export. neither has Ice Book Reader made use of any of the header information that was added to the export, (ie. comments, category, series, etc.). (v8.10.2)

- is this what you mean ? to properly import that data into the respective fields ? will it remove the old header info that was part of the export?

ICE Graphics wrote:
Flear wrote:

to find/make corrections in each book, currently it's line-by-line, one line at a time only, removing entire sections, say from particular html formats not importing correctly, leaving many lines of html code in the book. just expand the text available in the edit field to include more than a single line. how does one remove line breaks ???

It's not planning to convert ICE Reader to text editor. Internal editing made only for fixing small error. If you need to make a lot fixes, you will need to make export/edit in external editor/make import. With full support ICE Reader headers it's not too complicated.

so the current text editor can only edit one line of text and it cannot remove unnecessary line breaks that may mess with book formatting. because it won't display/edit 2 or 5 lines at a time.

asking to export to edit larger sections then import after adds header info, ... and if necessary to export and import again, adds this info a second time (if not manually removed the first time)

your adding graphical support but doing nothing to improve/simplify the existing capabilities.

ICE Graphics wrote:
Some features easy to add, some not. We decided to add some heavy features, like pictures. But it's required a lot of work. It's almost done. Is about 30% of whole code ICE Reader was re-written. Problem is, what then you start heavy project re-building you can publish version until everything will work fine.

are you adding full PDF support ? not all pdf's have pictures, some are all strictly text, yet because of the pictures, many who asked for pdf support before were given the response that this could not be done due to to the potential graphical layout of pdf files
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ICE Graphics
Site Admin


Joined: 31 Mar 2003
Posts: 430

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flear wrote:
- is this what you mean ? to properly import that data into the respective fields ? will it remove the old header info that was part of the export?

Yes

Flear wrote:
are you adding full PDF support ? not all pdf's have pictures, some are all strictly text, yet because of the pictures, many who asked for pdf support before were given the response that this could not be done due to to the potential graphical layout of pdf files

But also there are a large set of PDF files with textual layer witch is not readable. It's easy to find them. Just select some text in PDF, copy it to clipboard, paste text to notepad or any other text editor.

We do not planning to add PDF support. ICE Reader is made for reading fiction books, not technical books.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group