www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index www.ice-graphics.com
The main forum for the ICE-Graphics software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ICE-ECC 64 bit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NrsTyb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: ICE-ECC 64 bit? Reply with quote

Hello.

I have been using ICE-ECC for quite a long time. It's a great tool.

But.
Since the development of ICE-ECC has been stopped (or at least it seems to),
I am curious whether a recompiled, 64-bit aware executable would come out at some point?

Nowadays, when a common computer has usually more than 4 GB's of ram, ICE-ECC would benefit greatly from recompiling it to 64-bit.

I am not asking for further development, nor am I suggesting to implement new features.
I am just humbly asking for a 64-bit aware release.

Best regards.
Tyb
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: ICE-ECC 64 bit? Reply with quote

ICE ECC development is not stopped. There are a lot of new plans and ideas about ICE ECC future. Moreover, there is a new idea witch can move recovery codes to new level. It's absolutely new way, allowed to use millions blocks for reasonable time.

But, there is one small problem.

it's not simple task. And i do not want to spend months for development freeware project. So, new versions ICE ECC will not be freeware anyway.

There is some problem for making ICE ECC as shareware. Really, ecc codes use only advanced users. It's mean, what there is not a lot of peoples, witch want to buy new ICE ECC version.

About simple 64 bit recompile. Simple recompile is not possible. For simple 64 bit recompile need to re-write at least 5-10% of whole project.
NrsTyb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I can understand that you cannot afford to spend hundreds, even thousands of hours on a "hobby" project.
To develop, or not to develop, that is the question! And is a tough one.
Currently, as far as I know, there are a few (binary and/or source) libaries, and about two "major" softwares on the market:
ICE-ECC and the PAR derivatives.
ICE-ECC with advanced features could rock this niche market.

Since the common user is quite ignorant about data security (whether be it unauthorized access, or data loss), the demand for such softwares will be relatively small.
I can speak on behalf of myself only, though, but for a fair price, it would be a no-brainer to me.

Maybe try to stirr up the community with a poll, or something, to get feedback about the planned, new features.

Just my two cents.

BR, Tyb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: