www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index www.ice-graphics.com
The main forum for the ICE-Graphics software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reader: Enhancing bookmarks, importing, possible edit change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drfrost

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reader: Enhancing bookmarks, importing, possible edit change Reply with quote

I started using Reader for its excellent import/conversion, then grew to like the superscroll, and so bought the retail version. Now I would like to suggest some enhancements:

1. For book navigation, an indication of chapter positions is useful. I have been using bookmarks for this purpose, so why not enhance the bookmarks function:
- Make a second type (and colour?) bookmark indicating "Chapter".
It should be user changeable and delete-able, but should not delete
when "delete all bookmarks" is selected.

- during import, detect "[start-of-line][whitespace]Chapter [some text]"
and automatically add a special chapter bookmark.

2. You have said (in another post) that you will be adding the fuction to import a previously exported book, and to correctly use the ICE-book mark-up (headers, bookmarks?). The export/import should also take account of edits correcting short paragraphs that have been incorrectly "marked".

This facility would allow people to use external editors, perl-scripts, etc to mark-up files ready for import.

3. I would love to be able to split or join paragraphs. I suspect however that this would be extremely difficult to implement.

4. It would be good if some of the items in the title bar could be made selectable/optional - filename and filesize spring to mind immediately - especially because "filename" is the name of the original imported file, not the current one.

5. A minor fault. When a file is imported, it does not become "selected" in the filemanager window. Nearly every time I import a book, I forget this, and hit "read book", and get the wrong one!

All of the above aside, I think this is a great product (if pricey!) - thanks for providing it.
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Reader: Enhancing bookmarks, importing, possible edit ch Reply with quote

drfrost wrote:
1. For book navigation, an indication of chapter positions is useful. I have been using bookmarks for this purpose, so why not enhance the bookmarks function:
- Make a second type (and colour?) bookmark indicating "Chapter".
It should be user changeable and delete-able, but should not delete
when "delete all bookmarks" is selected.

- during import, detect "[start-of-line][whitespace]Chapter [some text]"
and automatically add a special chapter bookmark.

Detecting chapter position is not tirivial task. Rules of determination of chapter positions depend on book language. And it means, that at first it is necessary to determine book language.

drfrost wrote:
2. You have said (in another post) that you will be adding the fuction to import a previously exported book, and to correctly use the ICE-book mark-up (headers, bookmarks?). The export/import should also take account of edits correcting short paragraphs that have been incorrectly "marked".

Sometimes imported mark-up is actually trash. Especially it concerns HTML.

drfrost wrote:
4. It would be good if some of the items in the title bar could be made selectable/optional - filename and filesize spring to mind immediately - especially because "filename" is the name of the original imported file, not the current one.

OK

drfrost wrote:

5. A minor fault. When a file is imported, it does not become "selected" in the filemanager window. Nearly every time I import a book, I forget this, and hit "read book", and get the wrong one!

OK
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: