www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index www.ice-graphics.com
The main forum for the ICE-Graphics software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ICE ECC: Great software, want more hardware support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glyph

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: ICE ECC: Great software, want more hardware support Reply with quote

First i would like to say ICE-ECC is a GREAT piece of software. The perfect data recovery is great.

Don't change the reed-solomon codes to something faster but worse. I would rather have the best data recovery at a slow speed than have fast speed that doesn't fix everything.

I would like to know if ICE-ECC can support multiple CPU systems? I have one (uses dual athlon 2500+ CPUs) but i didn't see a noticeable speed improvement over a single system. I don't know if the algorithm can be distributed like that but i think it would be a great feature.

Another feature i would like to see is queuing. Queuing a few dozen encoding runs so they could all be run at night when i'm sleeping without having to change the parameters and select new files everytime.

Thanks for the software! This is the first piece of software that i've seen that truly meets my needs.
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: ICE ECC: Great software, want more hardware support Reply with quote

Glyph wrote:
First i would like to say ICE-ECC is a GREAT piece of software. The perfect data recovery is great.

Don't change the reed-solomon codes to something faster but worse. I would rather have the best data recovery at a slow speed than have fast speed that doesn't fix everything.

Agree.

Is possible to make faster implementation of Reed-Solomon codes, but is not possible to make faster recover or i do not know how do it faster Smile. I mean not algorithmic optimization. I mean some modification in theory of Reed-Solomon codes. New class of codes.

Glyph wrote:
I would like to know if ICE-ECC can support multiple CPU systems? I have one (uses dual athlon 2500+ CPUs) but i didn't see a noticeable speed improvement over a single system. I don't know if the algorithm can be distributed like that but i think it would be a great feature.

ICE ECC now is not support multiple CPU systems. But, ICE ECC use technology allowing easy add support multiple CPU. There is only one problem: for testing need multiple CPU system. We do not have it. But we planning to buy when first dual-cure CPU will available on market. After what new version supported multiple CPU would be released.

Glyph wrote:
Another feature i would like to see is queuing. Queuing a few dozen encoding runs so they could all be run at night when i'm sleeping without having to change the parameters and select new files everytime.

Are you mean queue only for creating or need support for verify/repair too ?
Glyph

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queuing for both creation and verification/repair. If anything goes wrong, the log files would tell us.

But if the verification/repair queuing is too much, then creation queuing is fine.
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think need exactly queuing? May be command line support can satisfy you?
Glyph

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i need is to be able to run dozens of coding runs in sequence on different files unattended. If that can all be done from the command line (say in a batch file) then that would be great.

Thanks Smile
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: ICE ECC: Great software, want more hardware support Reply with quote

Glyph wrote:

In v2.0 support multiple CPU systems is added.
Glyph

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome piece work, I really appreciate it.

THANK YOU!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: