www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index www.ice-graphics.com
The main forum for the ICE-Graphics software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some Suggestinos / Bugs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NvrBst

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Some Suggestinos / Bugs Reply with quote

I love ICEEEC, and have been using it a while. I'd like to make a few minor suggestions though:

--BUGS--
After setting something in the "Fit to, bytes" Field on the "Create ECC Window" you can't get the field back to the default *blank* without a red background. I believe this should be white by deleting the contents (and it will go back to just uses the Redundancy %).

--SUGGESTIONS--
1. Graphical Option For the Verify-Only Summary.
Reasoning1) Similar to QuickPar except the file structure will be in a Tree View. Color code Damage/Missing files as Red, Verified Files as Green, Unknown Files as White. This will make it so the person knows what exactly was verified with just a glance, and what is diferent in the folder. Way it is now with large folder and console, you only see a "All Files are Verified" but they have no idea if 10 files were verified, or 100 (AKA if unknown files were added to the folder).
Reasoning2) Console is good, but, a lot of information here are for advance users. Things like "Check Headers 100%", Etc. The graphical summary could be an option *off by default if you want* that will display only the very basic information (Tree View of Files with color coating above) + Total Blocks / Needed Blocks.

2. Make it more clear somewhere that during a "Verify" the Source & Destination Folder can be the same (if this is allowed?). AKA If I have a 2GB ECC Repair Folder I don't want it to copy everything to a new folder just because 1 file is corrupted. Maybe you can check if source and destination are the same, and maybe add additional optimizations if the user is in this case? I remember trying to repair a ~80GB Folder and it took about 45 mins. If the source and destination is the same maybe you can make it so the repair is shorter if only 1 file needs reparing?

3. Make "Verify" Button called "Verify-Repair". The other can stay "Verify-Only" (Or just "Verify"). This will make it more clear what they do.

4. Update Create Recovery Files Window
a) Make it so the "Redundancy Field" automatically sets the "Fit to, bytes", kinda how setting "Fit to Bytes" sets "Redundancy Field". After I set the "Fit to, byes" and change the "Redundancy, %" it is confusing which will be used.
b) Make it so users can type things like "KB" and "MB" and "GB" in the "Fit to Bytes" field.

5. Spell/Grammer Checking for the Manual. I read it latly and a lot of it is broken english. For example on the "ICE ECC modes" page it has "And if you create ECC files with redundancy 150-200%, this is file allow you to recover source files even heavy damage of ECC files is occur. And you lost all source files." I understand what is trying to be said but the entire document has weird stuff like this in it. This is more so a very minor thing though, but maybe you will think about it when you have some free time.

Thanks

EDIT: Also if it's possible, it'd be great if ICEECC remembered it's last "Very-Only" (maybe like a tmp file in the application directory that is cleaned when application closes). This is so after people press "Verify-Only" and see a problem, they can hit the "Verify-Repair" button and any information that can be used from the "Verify-Only" would be still available for the "Verify-Repair". Maybe with a fast-check to make sure nothing was changed, or a prompt to ask the user if they want to use info from the last verify-only for the verify-repair (just incase they chainged something between the Verify-Only and Verify-Repair button presses).

EDIT2: Also, since there is "Source" and "Destination" logic already, it'd be handy to have a "Only Rebuild Corrupted Files" option somewhere in the settings. Quite often with my large, for example, picture directories. If it thinks there is a bunch of corrupted files, I'd like to just rebuild the corrupted files to a new directory, instead of all the pictures. This will let me compare some of the corrupted files and see if it was, for example, me just correcting red-eye or something. Same with text files that are in directories. If I see it was changes I made then I can make a new ECC file. This also give the user the idea that the source directory is kept in a "Read Only" state until after the user confirms the corruption (if they so choose).
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Some Suggestinos / Bugs Reply with quote

NvrBst wrote:
After setting something in the "Fit to, bytes" Field on the "Create ECC Window" you can't get the field back to the default *blank* without a red background.

Bug

NvrBst wrote:
Similar to QuickPar except the file structure will be in a Tree View. Color code Damage/Missing files as Red, Verified Files as Green, Unknown Files as White.

How to show this Tree View ? Remember, what ICE ECC queue-based.

NvrBst wrote:
2. Make it more clear somewhere that during a "Verify" the Source & Destination Folder can be the same (if this is allowed?).

Yes, it's allowed.

NvrBst wrote:
If the source and destination is the same maybe you can make it so the repair is shorter if only 1 file needs reparing?

If Source and Destination not equal adding copying data files from Source to Destination.

NvrBst wrote:
3. Make "Verify" Button called "Verify-Repair". The other can stay "Verify-Only" (Or just "Verify"). This will make it more clear what they do.

Agree

NvrBst wrote:
b) Make it so users can type things like "KB" and "MB" and "GB" in the "Fit to Bytes" field.

Good idea.

NvrBst wrote:
5. Spell/Grammer Checking for the Manual. I read it latly and a lot of it is broken english.

Can you fix most terrible sentences ?

NvrBst wrote:
Also if it's possible, it'd be great if ICEECC remembered it's last "Very-Only"

It's possible to add item "Recover" to popup menu in queue. So, if Verify-Only will fail, user can active recover directly from queue and to skip verification.

NvrBst wrote:
Also, since there is "Source" and "Destination" logic already, it'd be handy to have a "Only Rebuild Corrupted Files" option somewhere in the settings. Quite often with my large, for example, picture directories.

Remeber, what user have to specify it when he start verify. Adding this is feature force to add additional dialog. Moreover, this is mode will work slowly than usual recovery with source equal destination.

NvrBst wrote:
If it thinks there is a bunch of corrupted files, I'd like to just rebuild the corrupted files to a new directory, instead of all the pictures.

ICE ECC always rebuild only corrupted files.

NvrBst wrote:
This will let me compare some of the corrupted files and see if it was, for example, me just correcting red-eye or something.

If you need compare, you can use different source and destionation for recovery. After recovery you can compare source and destionation directorys. I understand, what it's not too fast solution, but it's simple and safe solution.
NvrBst

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How to show this Tree View ? Remember, what ICE ECC queue-based.

Actually the Graphical Summary could be shown much like how the file list is shown in "Info". Would just have to color coat these items red/green, and also perform a system command "dir /b /s" and add any files that are not in the list already as white. And then sort in a logical order. This would be pretty nice, as long as there isn't too much other info *only basic, need to know info*.

Quote:
It's possible to add item "Recover" to popup menu in queue. So, if Verify-Only will fail, user can active recover directly from queue and to skip verification.

This would be great option for future release, and would fill the "remember last verify-only" suggestion. Smile

Quote:
Remeber, what user have to specify it when he start verify. Adding this is feature force to add additional dialog.

I agree an additional pop-up dialog would be bad. I was thinking more so a check box in the settings window, and an optional tag for the command line. This way by default it'd be identical to how it is now, but if checked it'd only rebuild corrupted data *only in the case where destination != source*.

Reasoning behind this for me is for example my pictures folder is ~80GB's. Some of my folders are 100's of GB's. Anyone who uses a single EEC file for the folder is going to need to copy 80+ GB's of data just to compare how the few corrupted files were corrupted. This checkbox would only more-so be like "copy original data if source != destination". "Repair Corrupted Data Only" sounds better though.

Quote:
Can you fix most terrible sentences ?

I've never edited .chm files before, but I'll take a look Smile

EDIT:
Another suggestion. There is a "Task Bar > Command > Save Log File" and a "Task Bar > Log > Save Log File". They seem to do the same thing to me. If this is the case maybe remove it from the "Command" section so reduce bloat.
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NvrBst wrote:
Actually the Graphical Summary could be shown much like how the file list is shown in "Info".

It's option can be added like Repair after Verify as pop-up menu.

NvrBst wrote:
I was thinking more so a check box in the settings window, and an optional tag for the command line. This way by default it'd be identical to how it is now, but if checked it'd only rebuild corrupted data *only in the case where destination != source*.

Checkbox also is not good. Because checkbox do not allow you to start two tasks, one for full recover, second for recover only damaged files.

Need to think how to solve this is problem in interface.

NvrBst wrote:
I've never edited .chm files before, but I'll take a look Smile

Just copy text from CHM to notepad and edit it as plain text.

NvrBst wrote:
Another suggestion. There is a "Task Bar > Command > Save Log File" and a "Task Bar > Log > Save Log File". They seem to do the same thing to me. If this is the case maybe remove it from the "Command" section so reduce bloat.

It's not the same.

"Log->Save Log File" - save log immediately

"Command->Save Log File" - place task "Save log". So you can make next queue: add a lot of task for creating ecc files, after what add Command->Save Log File, and Command->ShutDown Windows. After rebooting you will find log file saving full log.
NvrBst

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's not the same.

"Log->Save Log File" - save log immediately

"Command->Save Log File" - place task "Save log".

I think there is another bug then because the "Command > Save Log File", for me (2.7, Portable Version), saves the log immediately and doesn't add anything to the task pane.
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NvrBst wrote:
I think there is another bug then because the "Command > Save Log File", for me (2.7, Portable Version), saves the log immediately and doesn't add anything to the task pane.

Before "Command > Save Log File" start any large task.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: