www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index www.ice-graphics.com
The main forum for the ICE-Graphics software

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can ICE ECC be used with any auto backup software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Can ICE ECC be used with any auto backup software Reply with quote

What I would like to do is dedicate a fixed amount of space on each DVD of a backup for parity files, such as ice ecc. Can I somehow automate a process, where, for example, 4gb of a dvd is used to actually back up files and 0.3gb is used for ecc?
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Can ICE ECC be used with any auto backup software Reply with quote

1. Start ICE ECC
2. Select all files witch you want to protect. Press Create
3. Select "Source block count" 1024. You can use other value, this is only example.
4. Enter in field "Redundancy, %" 10
5. Now you have to decrease or increase manually in the field "Number of recover blocks". Do it until field "Total size of recovery files:" large than 0.3GB
6. Press OK
Eli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this will allow me to create the size of the backup I want. However, many backup software solutions allow me to set a directory I want to backup and just keeping feeding CD/DVDs into the drive and it will copy of the files to the discs.

I guess what I would really like to see is ECC and Mirror come together and have some burning functionality, set the amount of each disc you wish to have dedicated to ECC and Mirror would choose files that have not yet been backed up and fill a certain percent of the disc with ECC, then burn the disc. When the disc is done it verifies the disc and the ECC, then ejects the disc and the user inserts a new disc until all files in the directory are backed up.

When updating a backup and only new or updated files are backed up, then it simply fills the rest of the remaining disc, with ECC.

BTW, thanks for developing the software. Very nice.
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eli wrote:
Yes, this will allow me to create the size of the backup I want. However, many backup software solutions allow me to set a directory I want to backup and just keeping feeding CD/DVDs into the drive and it will copy of the files to the discs.

I recommend to use backup software only for backup system volume including OS. For all other backup task better to ignore all backup software. Reason is simple. Most backup software work like simple archiver. So, may be better to use any file archiver (7zip, WinRar, etc.) instead of using backup software or better to copy files directly. Direct files copying has great advantages. Only damaged files will lost, not whole backup container.
Eli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, but you have 2 pieces of software that could make this much easier, it just needs a burning engine.

Use mirror to select the discs that will be burned.
The software would then create ECC files that would go on each disc (fill maybe 20% of each disc)

The only thing the user should have to do is select the directory to backup and put each disc in the drive.
Eli

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICE Graphics,
Just wondering if you understand what I am trying to say?
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you suggest to add a burning engine to ICE ECC ?
Eli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am suggesting that a way to use ICE-ECC with ICE-mirror and a burning engine would be fantastic!

Select the directory you want to back up to DVD
Select the amount of parity per disc
Un-backed up files are copied to the disc with the selected amount of parity.
All the end user has to do is continue to feed discs in.
ICE Graphics
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of burning programs, FreeWare or ShareWare. Not need to add burning capability to ICE ECC.
Eli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care if a burning engine is added, as long as there is a way to automate the process.

The current problem is I have to sit down, select the files I want to create an ECC for, create it then burn the files and the ECC, then remember what files have been backed up.

If mirror and ecc could talk to eachother, and create jobs that are sent to nero or what ever burning package that would be great. Then I don't need to keep track of what files go where, what has and hasn't been backed up, etc.

Again, all I want to have to do is:

Select the directory you want to back up to DVD
Select the amount of parity per disc
Un-backed up files are copied to the disc with the selected amount of parity.
All the end user has to do is continue to feed discs in.
When files are modified, or added they are added to a list of files to be backed up with the next backup.

So no need for you to add a burning engine as long as ICE-ECC and ICE-mirror can talk together and with a burning engine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.ice-graphics.com Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: